Thursday, January 15, 2015

I don't know why she swallowed the fly

This is a tale about the "Joint Sounds" a high school choral ensemble along the lines of the Young Americans or Up With People. Honest. I really did that stuff back then. Believe it or not.

Does anyone remember Mrs. Thomas' Joint Sounds "The show must go on" speech? As I recall it featured a story about a Joint Sounds member (I want to say Gina Lansford but that may just be because I liked the name Gina and there were lots of Lansfords lying around back then) who in the midst of an important performance (think Academy Awards crossed with a Presidential Inauguration and you'll get Mrs. T's emphasis  ) was bedeviled by a fly that wouldn't leave her upper lip alone. I never got an adequate explanation for why that particular fly was so enamored with that particular lip - perhaps it was a bit of leftover PBJ or a well disguised cold sore - but according to Mrs. T "Gina" swallowed the fly without missing a beat. I suppose the moral of the story was that  "the show must go on" or maybe the importance of a balanced diet but the only thing I can remember upon hearing it was turning to Matthew Yarberry and saying: "I don't know why she swallowed the fly" and Matt in his best dead pan replying: "perhaps she'll die". Which sums up my Joint Sounds career as well as anything could.

No comments:

Post a Comment