Monday, March 10, 2014

Increasing inequality that is delivered by government

The difference in achievement test performance between kids from the lowest income decile and the highest income decile have never been higher.  This is despite a real tripling in per pupil expenditures and truly massive per student funding in most inner city districts.  Either the rich kids are doing better or the poor kids are doing worse or both.

Here's the meta analysis for reading:


And here it is for math:


I really don't think any of us know what to do proactively to solve this inequality.  It's evident that the educrats have absolutely no clue.  Except to squeak for more money for themselves.

Of course I would argue that if everything you've tried for oh say 50 years has made things worse perhaps the next thing you should try is stopping?  Just a thought.  I know, I know, I'm harshing the teachers union's buzz which screws with the statist's electoral conveyor belt but what can I say: isn't  tripling the real money per student to increase inequality with no gain in overall performance enough?  Doesn't the Hippocratic oath apply?  Or was that the Hypocritic oath?  I don't know my oaths.
Hattip Robert Verbruggen.

No comments:

Post a Comment