Friday, December 27, 2013

How to kill yourself in a thousand painful steps

Chapter 1 Death with rope

You'd think it would be easy to kill yourself: gun (bang), drugs (gulp), car (crash), jump (splat) and so on.  But no one just wakes up one morning and says "hey I think I'll kill myself" and then pops into the tub with his toaster. No, there's some suicide prep required:  first you must kill your will to live - and let me tell you: doing in your bloody will is harder than you think.

And it's not the normal inhibitions that really bite will-wise.  It's not Mom (boo hoo!), the kids (wha??), the ex-wife (yes! yes! woo hoo!), hey, be nice.  Or the friends (Blah, blah, blah, Oh right, Bill? yeah, blah, blah, blah) that hold you back, rather it's the little things that you pick up along the way that trip you up on your road to oblivion.

I mean if anyone would be a candidate for a quick exit stage left it would be me. I couldn't even get my parole officer to give a rip about my life: She was an exasperated redhead, middle aged and anything but even tempered: "What are you doing here?  We don't get guys like you, why didn't you plead this down?  What do you mean you don’t have a record?  Dammit, not another legal dumbass!"

I shrug.

"Well don't think just because you're some sort of bloody emoti-Con that I'm going to waste any time on you because I'm not.  I've got dangerous people to watch.  You're going to the computer"

The 'computer' turned out to be a small wizened man looking up through his coke bottle glasses tap, tap, tapping into an antiquated contraption in another large, bureaucratic cube farm: "OK, so here's your global travel permit allowing you to travel anywhere in the world at any time without asking our permission, but if you want to go into space you’ve got to get another form…heh, that’s a joke, we’ve never really ever had anyone leave the earth, I mean not without the aid of drugs, that is……...well anyway, sign here.  Once a month call this number and after the beep or whatever it is, type in this code. And remember:  other than this computer, you're not to call us ever.  Ok?  No matter what.  We'll call you if we need something.  Never ever call us. OK?  Seriously, never.  Well have a nice probationary period!"

"OK"

I couldn't even get either 'beat the rap' or 'dangerous criminal' right.  No, I had to fall ineptly between the two: I was a legal dumbass whose parole officer (who, in its defense was a rather old computer) wouldn't even return my call.

Not that my professional life had gone any better:
"Hey you stole my software code and then sold it back to me"
Satish, my ex-Development VP was a smooth talking Indian, dressed in a stylish suit sitting across from me at Panera.
"Well, let's not say steal, let's say leveraged the software into BippenTech's newest platform."
"But it's the same code you persuaded me to pay BippenTech to enhance for us, not to sell it to our competitors, you said your brother could do it for cheap"
"It is enhanced, this is version 1.2"
"Putting Copyright Bippentech, Ltd. India on everything is not enhancing it, it’s stealing it."
"Well it is for us, enhancing, I mean.  Say, just to show you there are no hard feelings we'll license 1.2 back to you for free, you can't do any better than free, can you? Of course my brother insists that we charge you for maintenance."
"You're licensing me my own software that I hired you to enhance if I pay you maintenance?  You son of a bitch!"  And then I hit him.  Rather hard, I'm afraid, missing his face but succeeding in spraining my hand on the iphone concealed in his immaculately tailored breast pocket.
"Shit! What do you have in there? Ow, ow, ow!”
"What is wrong with you? you're crazy!" my VP in charge of Fraud cried, backing away from the table, chairs and crockery flying everywhere, to the bystanders: "you saw him hit me, he's crazy!  Boy this is the last time I try to help out an old friend" And that's when I snapped.  I lunged and straddling him on the ground hit him over and over again with an oversize plastic coffee mug.  But at least it was empty.

"I suppose you think this is how you get the State of Missouri to give a rip about your miserable little life" the red head parole officer was positively raving now.  "Well you guessed wrong buster, we are not wasting our time on you"

And the antiquated dotmatrix printer went ztthp, ztthp, ztthp, printing out a sheet that said 'warning!' on it that coke bottle glasses man shoved at me with a disapproving glare.
“I know, I know, don’t call you, you’ll call me.”

When I first started thinking about you know, doing myself in I used to visualize myself hanging.  Me hanging from that tree, me hanging from a bridge, me hanging from a light pole, everywhere really.  And it seemed like a pretty good solution: after all I was pretty good at knots in the boy scouts and rope was easy to get.  On top of that, it was fairly dramatic but with not too much damage to the corpse so they could do an open casket if they wanted – except if I got left somewhere and the crows pecked out my eyes and raccoons chewed off my face, then it wouldn’t work – but I’d just do it somewhere really visible so they’d see me and take me down quickly.  

But then I’d be on the nightly news (that night they’d change it to the nightly noose, har, har) with Action 7’s Kim Roderick standing next to my dangling corpse interviewing the slacker who found me “yeah I sawr him up here.  He tweren’t doin’ nuthin’, just danglin’ this way and that. Danglin’ an’ danglin’ an’ danglin’.” 
And then the EMT who was supposed to take me down would explain by the use of a retractable pointer just why I was dead, “It’s your fracturing of the third and fourth vertebrae that sever the spinal column that does it, you’ll note that it often leads to a loss of bladder control here” points to my swaying crotch, “which is what happened in this subject’s case.”

Hmmm.  Perhaps not.






No comments:

Post a Comment