Thursday, April 08, 2010

Why does God save some and not others? An Easter-tide conundrum

My good friend Rich McDaniel asked a serious and seriously legitimate question about the Christian Faith recently, he said:

"So I went to an Easter function where they wanted to say grace before the meal.  I don't understand grace. I thought we acted through free will.  Therefore God has no role in whether we have food.  If he has a role in our having food, then logically he has a role in poor kids in Africa, Asia, and Appalachia not having food.  So it almost seems smug to give grace or thanks.  There, but for the grace of God (or a win in the geographical birth place lottery) go I?  How do Christians get around the logical conundrum?"
So since questions like this lead me to respond the way people in a fat farm weigh in respond when double cheeseburgers are waved, I rose to the challenge.  Herein is lesson One:

Lesson 1:  Einstein
Old Al Einstein came up with a special and a general theory of relativity.  I can never remember which is what but essentially what he said was that time and space are relative, indeed we travel though what he calls a space-time continuum.  The upshot of this is that at the limit of how fast we can travel through space (light speed) time stands still (we also attain infinite mass but I don’t understand that so never mind).  I guess that also means that if we could stand completely still (we are hurtling away from the center of the Uverse at an amazing speed) then time would move incredibly fast.

So what?  Well, if you are an infinite God who made the universe, you stand outside of the space-time continuum. In  other words every event, every experience from the big bang to the big snuff is laid out in front of you like a comic with an infinite number of frames.  Or so big Al’s theory would suggest (he wasn’t really religious but kept trying to find a Universal Theory of Everything – aka “God” so who knows what his faith really was).

Hold this in your head (or print it out and hold it in your hand) for lesson 2 tomorrow.

I warned you about the double cheeseburgers and fat farm ladies with the spotted gym shorts.  Don’t say I didn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment