Sunday, April 11, 2010

Is Shariah the problem?

Frank Gaffney, who I respect greatly argues that the fault line between 'decent, law abiding Muslims' and 'Islamic Extremists' is adherence and advocacy of Shariah.  Certainly I would never want to live under Shariah - my experience in Saudi was creepier than my experience in Soviet Russia (and a damn site hotter) - that is how totalitarian a true Shariah regime can be.  That being said, there are many Americans (Hutterites, Amish, Mennonites, even Mormons) that adhere to strict moral codes that would deeply offend typical Americans (aka Me - I mean no scotch and rocks?  No cappucino?  No dancing - who are these people?  Communists?).  The issue isn't OBSERVING Shariah, it's advocating it as the ultimate law of the land for everyone.  And historically Muslims haven't done that - with the exception of Wahabbist Saudi Arabia and to a certain extent, Khomeinist Iran.  If I were to define a Muslim enemy of humanity, it wouldn't be the practice of Shariah, but instead would be these frankly Fascist bastardizations of traditional Islamic faith.

The Burkha is nowhere mandated in the Koran and is indeed banned in Mecca's Six Flags Over Mohammed Tour (aka the Haj).  Or as my good Muslim friend and partner would say (in his best Oxbridge Fake Texan):  "They ain't no ninjas in the big guy's book."

No comments:

Post a Comment