Saturday, June 15, 2019

Thoughts on the occasion of a child's baptism.

Friends asked me to be Godfather to their first born. This is what I wrote to them:

When I went outside this morning  I saw a rainbow. It was complete, both ends touching the ground, with every color from violet to deepest red. I have never seen one as beautiful.

In biblical times this would have been interpreted as a sign of God's blessing.  But your son bears a much greater sign of God's favor than sunlight bent by rain: he has you.

Never forget that you are his first and most important blessing.
And never forget that it is his life. Help him by giving him the space to play and experiment and grow. Know that he is God's child and that he and his Lord will choose his path. Welcome this because it lifts an unbearable burden from you. You are not responsible for W's future - only his present. Love him, guide him, protect him.... less than you would like, but probably more than he needs. So he will grow up a strong and faithful man.

Thank you for honoring me with the opportunity to participate in his life

No comments:

Post a Comment