Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I hate the World Cup because I hate Soccer

I find it ironic that the most exciting part of this ‘sport’:  the ‘penalty shootout’ after 90 minutes of pointless to-ing and fro-ing  is the part invented in the good ‘ol US of A.  (And only used in the final round!).  I used to go to NASL games when Tulsa had a team but could only do so drunk (which is a requirement shared by most Anglo-Saxon attendees, indicating their possession of at least a modicum of residual humanity).

Soccer is a sport played by foreigners to fill their pointless days with random wandering and kicking - sort of like Zebra or Wildebeest.  No wonder the rest of the world is a wasteland.  I spent my whole childhood overseas, having to chase a bleeding ball around the yard in utter pointless desperation (why?  why?).

PG Wodehouse wrote in his Jeeves books about an imaginary English Fascist group:  The Black Shorts.  Its leader, Roderick Spode, designed ladies undergarments in his spare time under the name “Eulalie Sowers”.  The rank and file wore black ‘Footers’, aka: soccer shorts.  Just about sums it up for me.  Bunch of fascist, pantywaist cross dressers in toddler’s short pants.

Oh Lord forgive me but I hate soccer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment